Wednesday, March 7, 2012

MASK




Tonight I shall try again
To pry open the wooden
Trunk I have wrapped
Where I have kept my memory;
I shall spread out
And put it on as mask
One of the smiles neatly folded;
In the deepest recesses
Of my pure heart, I shall search
For wellspring
Of the pulsing that is the fountain

Of the chest and your eyes
Will appear in the middle
Of desire gathering a whirl.

In the morning, before
Your dream snaps to an end,
I shall run after
And relay my poem
That will be recited
By the murmur of leaves
Eavesdropping, this poem
Written in the caress
Of the breeze's page;
You will hear again
The word repeated as pleadings,
This flows with the current
Of my warm endearing
To your feeling
That has gone so cold.


But I know that in every
Stroke of the paddle of love-giving
It remains there that there be no trace
Of the worth of my endearment
Left on the face of the water.

And so I keep on
With journeying once more,
I shall be bold in prying open
The wooden trunk I wrap
Where I keep my memory;
Again, I shall spread out and wear as mask
One of the smiles left folded
Where there are the eyes in full watch
Ever-ready to pop out.

-----------
*This is the  English Version of my Iluko poem, MASKARA, which was published in KALLAUTANG:  Poetics of Diversity, Displacement, and Diaspora: Ilokanos in the Americas Writing by Aurelio S. Agcaoili.



No comments:

Post a Comment